Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 2

My name is Kelli.  I suffer from a chronic pain condition and for too long have used it as an excuse not to work out.  The sedentary lifestyle I lead cannot be good for anyone so this ends now!  I've been swimming laps because it's a good workout that my body can actually handle.  NO MORE EXCUSES!  That's my new motto.

My husband suggested that I set a goal to help keep me on track and motivated.  Great idea!  so what am I going to do?  I'm going to swim across the Atlantic Ocean!  Now of course I'm not actually swimming across the Atlantic Ocean.  That's just silly.

The shortest distance across the Atlantic Ocean is between SW Senegal, W Africa, and NE Brazil, E South America.  It's 1,600 miles.  I count the distance I've swam in yards since the pool I'm swimming in is 25 yards long.  So here's some math for you to make sure we're all on the same page.

There are 1,760 yards in a mile.  1,760 yards *1,600 miles = 2,816,000 yards across the Atlantic Ocean at it's smallest point.
As previously stated, the pool I swim in is 25 yards long.  2,816,000 yards / 25 yards = 112,640 lengths of the pool.
If I swim an average of 1,000 yards (40 lengths) a day it will take me approximately 2,816 days (or 7.715 years) to swim across the Atlantic.  I think I can do it faster.
Day 1 was Monday.  I didn't actually track the number of yards swam so I'll estimate it to be 900 yards.  At the end of Day 1 I had 2,815,100 yards to go.
Day 2 I swam 1,100 yards.  At the end of Day 2 I had swam a total of 2,000 yards, and had 2,814,000 yards left to go.











I'm excited to get into the pool again tonight and get even closer to my final destination!



No comments:

Post a Comment